prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Eve 1965.

I was driving home to Coalinga, California. I was on my last month working for Schlumberger, an oilfield service company. It was Christmas Eve about 10 pm. It was raining. My wife, Jackie, and our four children, Nancy, Chris, Kerry, and Mike were at home. There had been a fire and the house was cozy. I was feeling sorry for myself. I should be home resting for Christmas morning. Unfortunately I had been dispatched to log a well north of Coalinga.

I had finished my work and was driving south on Highway 33. I had just driven through Stinky Hollow. So named because of the smelly oil field. I had worked at Stinky Hollow all day several times and had gone home sick in my stomach.  I drove over the last hill before Coalinga. Coalinga lies in an valley named Pleasant Valley. I could see the city lights. I would soon be home!

Bam! My right rear tire blew out. There I was on Christmas Eve changing a flat tire in the rain. Boy! Was I mad and depressed. Then I had a happy thought.

I WILL NEVER AGAIN CHANGE A TIRE, IN THE RAIN, ON CHRISTMAS EVE.

Immediately I started smiling, laughing, and humming Christmas Carols while I changed the tire. You know, that thought was true. I never have changed a flat tire in the rain on Christmas Eve again.


4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from a Cajun living in Orange, CA. I read your Blog daily and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. May you have a glorious Christmas season. I will think about you when I write my blog.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love you. Merry Christmas to you and yours (they are kinda ours)

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->