prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

McKinley Home for Boys-some history.

My thoughts were jogged when I saw this sign on Facebook. The sign is a Redline Bus Stop sign that marked the stop for the McKinley Home for Boys in the San Fernando Valley.


This is view of the campus in Van Nuys, California. I was here for a year around 1932. I can remember watching wheat being harvested across the street. This area is now under a huge Mall and the city. No more wheat fields in the San Fernando Valley. The entire valley is now all built up.


I can remember the large pictures of milk.


The Home was started in 1900 in Artesia, California and was named after President McKinley. In 1923 the Home was moved to Van Nuys. In 1961 it was moved to the present location in San Dimas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->