prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Harry Baumgardner decides to check out.

Harry was the husband of my niece Dorothy. Harry and Dorothy lived in Roseburg, Oregon. Dorothy is the daughter of my sister Thelma Mott. I have stopped by several times to visit them. Harry had a Stinson airplane and took me up in it once. The plane had been built in 1947. I was scared the whole time we were up.


Harry was a jolly guy and a lot of fun to be with. He was one of my favorite people. I liked him a lot. He was a retired Petroleum Engineer. We had lots to talk about. 

I have learned that Harry has passed away. He had trouble with his esophagus. It allowed food to get in his lungs. He would get pneumonia often. He was told that he had to puree his food and to drink heavy water. Harry was 88. He said; " I have had a good life. I will not eat pureed food." He stopped eating and went home to die. Dorothy was with him until he passed away. God bless him. He was a good guy. I miss him.


This is a picture of Harry and Dorothy taken the last time I visited them in 2012.

This news really makes me think about what I would decide in such a circumstance. I have to admire the bravery of Harry. His decision seems to me to be what you would expect from the Harry I knew.

After thinking about it for a day, I believe that I would eat pureed food to stay alive. Harry may have had, and probably did, have other health issues.



No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->