prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fort Hartsuff State Historical Park, Burwell, Nebraka.

Fort Hartsuff is the best preserved Indian Wars Fort in the US. Largely because the buildings were made with concrete. Also the Fort has been lovingly maintained. The buildings are full of appropriate antique furnishings.





You might ask "why is the old prune picker so proud of Fort Hartsuff?" That is a good question. I have just lately been advised by a reader of the Prune Picker blog in Nebraska that my distant cousin Captain Samuel Munson was the first commanding officer of the fort. I blogged about the captain last year.




I have not found any pictures of the captain but I am convinced that he looked like John Wayne. The Fort was closed in 1881, the year that my Father was born in Kentucky.



No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->