prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

The new and old Millersburg Cemeteries.

My third great grandfather, Samuel Munson died in 1833 in a cholera epidemic in Robertson County, Kentucky. He was born in Rowan, North Carolina. He moved to Kentucky in the time of Daniel Boone. I have references to the fact that he was buried in the old cemetery at Millersburg, Kentucky. I drove straight to what I thought was that cemetery when I entered Kentucky on my September 2011 trip. I could not find his gravestone. I thought that I was at the right cemetery. If you were to come to a small town and found a cemetery with 1860 on the entrance, would you not think you were in the "old" cemetery?




It turns out that the three pictures above were taken in the "new" Millersburg Cemetery. I went to the county courthouse and found out that the "old" cemetery was on the edge of town. With my heart pounding I drove to the "old" cemetery. The only care the cemetery received was mowing. Most of the sandstone gravestones were weathered until the engraving was unreadable. In fact, many were worn to the point that you could not see any trace of an engraving. One of these stones must be my great grandfather's stone. The bottom two pictures are of worn headstones. 




Based on my travels through many cemeteries I would hazard a guess that any sandstone headstone over 150 years old would be unreadable. I am a hundred years or so too late to  photograph most of my great grandfather's headstones.

The headstone of my 8th great grandfather was made in 1675. However, after his cemetery was moved, his stone was stored in a church basement for many years. It was set in a new stone and placed in the Grove Street Cemetery in New Haven Connecticut.


5 comments:

  1. Not sure where the 2nd photo is taken, but it is not the old Millersburg cemetery or the new Millersburg cemetery. Almost anyone in Millersburg could have directed you to the older cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the pictures on the blog were taken in Millersburg. Pretty sure they were the only cemeteries in town.

      Delete
  2. I have a pic of Edy Munson's grave (wife of Thomas) from the cemetery. I have a list of all that is buried at old cemetery and do not show Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pic of a grave that I can make out Samuel and ...son at the end I tokk in 2009 from the old Millersburg cemetery. Only date that I can see is Birth May 14...17something....Could this be your ancestor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephen, so much. Could you send a copy of the pic? Edy Rule b 1801 m 1820, d 1835 is the Edy Munson. I am attending a Munson Reunion in Louisville next July and plan to visit Millersburg again at that time. Are there any Munson/Monsons on the list that you have?

      Thanks again. I appreciate your interest and help.

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->