prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Education of a Felon.

I am reading a book. The book is  Education of a Felon by Edward Bunker. It is the memoirs of a man who grew up in Southern California. He was from a dysfunctional family and did a lot of bumming around on his own. Like me he spent some time at the McKinley Home for Boys in Van Nuys. I was referred to the book by a blog reader who had read my blog about my stay at McKinley.


Many aspects of the book remind me of my youth. The geography is the geography that I grew up in. Bunker was a loner and bummed around as he pleased as I did. However, not like me he spent many years in prison. He spent many years in prison reading and learning to write. The last half of his life he was an author and sometime actor. He played Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs.

It is strange that I am reading a book. I have so many irons in the fire. 1) writing for my blog, 2) studying the bylaws of the Council on Aging, 3) attend luncheons at the Senior Center, 4) attend meetings at the VFW. 5) working on genealogy, 6) trimming my beard, and 7) attending meetings of the Jefferson  Corner Liars Club. I hope to start writing my memoirs.

Edward Bunker.




1 comment:

!-- Site Meter -->