prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Louisiana Downs-lost $10 each.

Lizard took me to the races today. Lizard is the Secretary of the Jefferson Corner Liars Club. The races were the horse races at Louisiana Downs near Shreveport. Horse races are new and exciting to me. Lizard has been involved with horse racing all of his life. I really appreciated the day at the races with him. I want to thank him for his trouble and hospitality.
Lizard puts our money in a betting machine. We pooled our money. Lizard did the betting so I did not have to think.



The empty horses are walked around in front of Lizard so that he can augment or change our bets, based on his appraisal.

Saddles are then place on the horses and they walked to an area where jockeys and trainers are waiting.


Guess which of these three gentlemen is the jockey.



The jockeys mount the empty horses.


The group heads for the starting gates.


The finish line!

This is repeated about every 25 minutes. Parading, saddling, mounting, and racing. I thought it was very interesting and was impressed by amount of labor and planning required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->