prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, September 11, 2017

I attended a program on "The Orphan Trains"

The program was given at yesterdays meeting of the Northeast Louisiana Genealogical and Historical Society. I was familiar with the story of the Orphan Trains but appreciated the program.

The Orphan Train story is the story of a very large American experiment. Due to unsettled times and massive numbers of immigrants there were large numbers of orphans in the United States. It is estimated that there were 30,000 homeless children on the streets of New York in the 1850s. Between 1853 and 1930 some 250,000 homeless children were put on trains and sent from New York and the East to the mid West to be placed in homes needing labor. Many were adopted. I am somewhat familiar with what the children went through. I was placed in institutional boys homes twice as a young boy. I ran away from one in the middle of the night.

I only cried two or three times during the program.

 





2 comments:

  1. Sad times I'm sure, but we'd love to hear more stories of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My childhood and youth memories are so strong. I guess my memory slate was fresh and etched the memories deeper. Many vignettes are so vivid from those times.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->