prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

I attended a lecture on Lee's Louisiana Tigers.


The lecture was delivered by Terry L. Jones, Ph,D., Professor of History Emeritus at the University of Louisiana at Monroe. He has authored a couple dozen books on the Civil War. His latest book is on Lee's Tigers. Terry has been a member of a Sunday School class, in West Monroe,  taught by my son in law, John Morgan Adams, for many years. Therefore, you must know that Terry is an expert on the Civil War and very knowledgeable on Christianity.



Infantry troops from Louisiana served in Lee's Virginia army. They were 12000 strong at the beginning of the war. at the surrender there were less than 400 left on duty. Due to their fierce conduct in battle and somewhat wild behavior off duty they were nicknamed the Louisiana Tigers. The LSU Team Mascot is a tiger, named after the Civil War troops.

Early Commanders of the Tigers were of French Military background. They adopted the uniform of the French North African Berber Zouaves soldiers. One commentator said the uniform was the most distinguished of all the Civil War uniforms. That is the most understated comment I have read lately.







I and the large crowd enjoyed the lecture by Doctor Jones very much.




1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree . That early Tiger uniform is pretty bold. How could you sneak up on the enemy with that shirt color?
    Interesting. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->