prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Transfer to Santa Maria, California.

In 1956, Kerry was two, Schlumberger transferred me from Ventura to Santa Maria. It was exciting. Santa Maria was a one truck location and I was in charge. I can remember the coastal fog on Highway 101 between the two cities that I drove a lot before we got moved. I can remember driving at 2 in the morning where I could barely see the hood ornament. But I  wanted to get home so I drove.


It was an interesting place for me to work. I had spent four years in San Luis Obispo going to school at Cal Poly. During the war I spent months there taking training at Moro Bay. I met the famous Jacqueline Lois Ireton in San Luis Obispo. I had taken Army basic training at Camp Cooke. Camp Cooke is now the Vandenburg Air Field.




I logged wells in the Guadalupe San Dunes for Union Oil. The Dunes were a few miles from the office in Santa Maria. On some wells we logged the logging truck was almost parked in the ocean. I wrote a letter to my boss that if oil went to $5 a barrel that Union Oil would drill some wells. How much is oil now? (over one hundred dollars a barrel)






No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->