prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, September 27, 2013

I only broke one bone in my life!

In 1979 I was working for Long Beach Oil Development Company in Long Beach, California. LBOD produced oil from under Long Beach City and the Long Beach Harbor. The pumper and field crews went on strike. I went from my cushy desk job to being a pumper. I worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week. I just had time to drive home from Long Beach to Huntington Beach, eat a meal, take a shower, get some sleep, and it was time to go back to work. Sure was a long month.

How did I break a bone? Was it while doing the dangerous heavy oil field work? No. I was home having a discussion with Jackie. To emphasize a point I was making I banged my fist down on a steel railing in front of me. The steel held, a bone in my hand did not. The doctor said it was a classic boxer's break.


I was working 12 hours a day, seven days a week. In the rain, unlocking gates, starting pumps, etc. It made it interesting, and a severe pain in the neck, to be one handed. In future discussions with Jackie I no longer made a point by slamming my fist into steel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->