prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, September 2, 2013

Jerald J. Moore


Jerald is a longtime citizen of the Alex area of Oklahoma. He is the gentleman that showed me around the area yesterday. Jerald and I hit it off right away. Those Choctaws are good looking. Jerald said that his indian agency card reports that he is 1/32 Choctaw. We both think that the per cent should be higher.  You could tell that he considers himself as Choctaw. There is a $99 DNA test that might help resolve the question. We spent a couple of hours driving around the area. What a nice gentleman. We are related by marriage.

Jerald knows English history. He told me that Henry Ireton married Cromwell's daughter and was one of the signers ordering the beheading of King Charles. Henry also led a group of 77 ships on a mission to calm the Irish. This took place while my 8th great grandfather Thomas Munson was fighting the Pequot Indians in New England.

Jerald's great grandfather, John Ireton moved here in the 1800s, married a Choctaw lady and had 12 children. Our old friend Rufus was his second child. Gerald's grandmother was one of John's daughters. So Gerald is a great grandson of John Ireton. Well what do you know? I am married to a great grand daughter of John Ireton,  my wife, Jackie. So we are cousins!

John Ireton became a large land owner and wealthy through Indian head rights. His land is well split up now and Jerald has a few hundred acres of it. He has some of the prettiest cows. His home is within a couple miles of the Ireton Cemetery.

I hope that we will meet again. I hope he likes this blog.

1 comment:

  1. I had known about Henry Ireton had signed the beheading order. Until you started your searches though, I didn't know that I had another English connection. It's all so interesting. I'm glad you had such a nice visit with Jerald.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->