prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Like Father, Like Son.

My 8th great grandfather Thomas Munson (1612 to 1685) and his son, my 7th great grandfather Samuel Munson (1643 to 1693) had a common interest. They liked to be in on the founding of Connecticut cities.

Thomas was a militiaman from Hartford in the 1637 Pequot Indian War. For his service he was given several properties in Hartford. His name is listed on the Hartford Founders Monument. During the Pequot War service he saw the good land in the New Haven area. He sold his Hartford properties and within a year he walked the 40 miles to New Haven. His signature is about the sixth signature on the founding document for New Haven. He lived the rest of his life in New Haven.

At the age of 27 Samuel moved his family 10 miles northeast. Samuel and 25 families from New Haven founded the city of Wallingford. Samuel's signature is on the founding document of the city of Wallingford, Wallingford has a lovely cemetery with many Munsons.

These two great grandfathers were involved in the founding of Hartford, New Haven, and Wallingford.

Sometimes fathers and sons have disagreements. I wonder if Samuel told his Dad "I will go and start my own town."

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->