prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Three old comrades.

This is Robert Rinehart and Tommy Ledford. I sit with them at the Senior Center Lunch. They are two fine gentlemen and I enjoy their company. While visiting we have discovered the following.

In 1943 Tommy and I were at Camp Cooke, California at the same time. Camp Cooke was toward the Pacific Ocean from Santa Maria near the town of Lompoc. This area is now Vandenburg Field, which is a missle launching site for the US Airforce.

In 1944 Robert and I were on Pelelui Island at the same time. We both were wounded there. In 1945 on Easter Sunday we both landed on Okinawa.

I think it interesting that we shared wartime experiences 67 years ago and now we share quiet peaceful lunch times in Ruston, Louisiana.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->