prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sorry to miss this convention!

I can not attend the 2015 Thomas Munson Family gathering. I will be at the Bob and Nancy Wright Family gathering in the San Juan Islands. I will be on the ferry from Orcas Island to Anacortes, Washington on July 25th. I will turn 90 on Tuesday of that week. (74 days from today)

Thomas Munson was born in Rattlesden, England in 1612 and is my 8th great grandfather. He was part of a large body of Pilgrims who migrated to America in the mid 17th century. He was a Captain in the troops raised in Norfolk, Connecticut to fight the Pequot Indians in 1637. For his service he was awarded 28 acres of cleared land in Norfolk. He soon moved and was a founding father of New Haven, Connecticut. His name is listed on the Hartford Founders Monument.


I realize that the Pequot Indian War was the first of many massacres of the native population of America. However, Thomas was a good citizen who did his duty and I am proud of him. The Pequot Indian War and the subsequent King Phillips Indian War were necessary to secure security for the neighbors of Captain Thomas. He served in the militia all of his life. His day job was carpenter. His descendents have had a substantial role in the building of the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->