prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Ruston WW II POW Camp.

Went to a Chautauqua meeting last night. Wesley Harris gave an informative talk on the Ruston WW II POW Camp. I enjoyed it a lot. 

Did you know that there were 750 POW Camps in the US during WW II? Ruston was one of the largest of the camps. The Ruston camp secretly held the German crew from a captured submarine. Very hush hush and top secret because we did not want to let the Germans know that we had one of their code machines. This gave us the ability to read their messages and helped win the war.

The submarine is on display near Chicago.





With lots of time on their hands the prisoners made elaborate miniature castles and displays.




Books (among many) by Wesley Harris.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->