prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

CHAUTAUQUA, anyone?

The Chautauqua organization came to Ruston in 1889. The site of the first Chautauqua has been marked. The marker is just south of the south driveway into the Bridge Baptist Church on Vienna Street.



The very start of Louisiana Tech University came from the Chautauqua Ruston organization. Here is a link to a very good article about the Ruston Chautauqua by a local historian, Wesley Harris. Ruston Chautauqua History. 

At this time the Ruston Chautauqua is having four weekly meetings on the history of this area. Last Tuesday I attended a lecture on the "The History Of The Old Wire Road" The road followed the running of the telegraph line across North Louisiana.

Mrs Carolyn Espeneth has extensively researched the subject and gave a very informative talk. I enjoyed the talk....and the cookies and coffee.




No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->