prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

16 months of chickens.

The chickens are all gone. And the coop. The end of an era. I saw the start and end of the Adams Chicken Ranch. In June of 2014 John put six young hens and a batam rooster in the chicken hutch he had designed and built.





We watched the homely young chickens grow into handsome adults. Egg production went up to 5 or 6 a day. The chickens would greet you and check on what you were doing. They would talk to you. They would peck on my toes. I had no idea that chickens could be pets.

But they would eat John's garden. Here the chickens are eating a plant. See the remains of the plant.



The other day John planted several dollars ($35) worth of flowers. The chickens ate them all. This was the final straw. John posted the coop and chickens for sale. Last night they were picked up. I watched the new owners load them up and drive away.

We will miss them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->