prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Story from the desk of Doctor Prunepicker.

On Monday morning at 5 am I walked in the door of the emergency department of the Northern Louisiana Medical Center. I told the young lady through the hole in the glass that I wanted an enema.  Had an impacted bowel.

At 2 pm (9 hours later) I was laying on an operating table. A feminine voice behind me said that she was now putting me to sleep. Doctor Butler was going to remove my gall bladder.

A slight change in plans don’t you think?

Prior to Monday when I got up at 4 am to drive to the hospital I had just spent three days in misery. Throwing up, fever, terrible weakness. I have never been so weak in my life. Based on my past history of this sort of stomach problem I was convinced that my bowels were impacted. And a good old enema would fix me right up.

Dr Jackie, the emergency room doctor started poking my belly. It hurt here and there. Some in the appendicitis area. She had had blood work done and extensive x-rays taken. She told me that my white count was high. (Sign of infection) She did not think that an enema would help me. Who does she think she is, going against my diagnosis?

Dr Jackie ordered a cat span and went off shift. Bless her, the cat span found the problem. At 11 am I was told that my gall bladder was in terrible shape and immediate surgery was recommended. Three hours later I was going to sleep on the operating table.

When I recovered from the anesthesia I was amazed and pleased at how well I felt. This story proves that I do not know my ass from my gall bladder!

The life is good department.  On Wednesday afternoon I was on the couch in the Adams’s front room. My daughter Kerry came by and asked me if I would like a kitten to hold.This really touched my heart, Kittens and daughters are some of the very best things in life.

2 comments:

  1. I love stories with a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I am just getting a chance to catch up on your blog and saw this post. I am so glad that you are okay. Take care of yourself.

    Love and Hugs,
    A.B.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->