prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Paper Doll. I am a Mills Brother fan.

I have discovered that I can bring up any Mills Brothers song on YouTube and watch it. I spent a pleasant few minutes the other morning watching and listening to them. Did I reminisce?




I have always loved their sound. I have 20 of their songs in my iphone. 

Once in 1944 my company of army troops was marching for 24 hours in the hills around Baywood Park and Los Osos. We were stationed at Camp San Luis Obispo, California. Training hard for going overseas. In full pack with helmets and rifles we walked for 24 hours. Paper Doll was a big hit for the Mills Brothers at that time. As we walked along we sang Paper Doll. The memory of that song and that walk has stayed with me.

Thirty years later my  wife Jackie and I, and family were at Disneyland in Anaheim. The Mills Brothers were there and sang out doors. I remember sitting, watching, and listening to them. What a treat!

1 comment:

  1. "I'm gonna buy a paper doll that I can call my own,
    a doll the other fellows cannot steal;
    and then those flirty, flirty guys, with their flirty, flirty eyes,
    will have to flirt with dollies that are real."
    I love the Mills Brothers. "Glow Worm"; "Yellow Bird"; "Cab Driver"; "Daddy's Little Girl"

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->