prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

(Army 22) VJ Day.

We were all busy working on Okinawa. We all realized that soon we would be involved in a massive invasion of Japan. We were dreading it. Based on past experience in invading Japanese held land we were sure that invading Japan would be a horrible experience for both sides.

Then the atomic bombs were dropped. I am sure that most of us had never said the word atomic before. But it sounded good. Joy replaced the dread in our hearts.

Then there were two announced surrenders of Japan. First a false one. Guns were fired all over the island. I recall that 6 or 7 Americans were killed in the excitement. About a week later on August 15, 1945, a final and real announcement was made of the surrender of Japan. A much more subdued celebration was made. With no one killed.

I have often thought that being killed by friendly fire celebrating the surrender of Japan was a very sad and futile way to die in the war, Especially a false surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->