prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. (91) I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, January 24, 2014

(Army 14) Jungle rot, ringworm, and skin fungi on Guadalcanal.

In a week or two I was released from the hospital. A small boat took me to Guadalcanal where I was placed in a casual camp This is a camp for soldiers who were separated from their units or not attached to a unit.

I was assigned to a work party. We worked in the jungle. I can not recall what we did. I can remember riding a truck with a load on it.

I got a severe case of ringworm and jungle rot. It was so bad that I was  released from the work party and stayed in the barracks. Ringworm is not aworm, it is a fungal skin desease.

I was put on a large loaded troop transport that was headed for Pearl Harbor. The ship was low on provisions. We were fed two meals a day. We had a meal card that they punched. Two punches and you were through eating for the day. The ship store (for the crew only) would open once a day. I can remember standing outside the door to the store and offering sailors ten times the normal price for a can of peanuts. I never was successful.

My skin problem was still bad and I went to the medics. They swabbed my scrotum with some solution (?) that boiled on my skin. They quickly washed it off. I will never forget that. It is a real thrill to have some acidic solution boiling on your scrotum.

I took salt water showers (the only kind of shower available) and laid out in the sun every day. The jungle rot and ringworm went away. I even had ring worm on top of my head.

1 comment:

  1. Molds are part of the natural environment. In outdoors, molds play an important part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, etc. But indoors, mold growth should be avoided and prevented. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye (only on microscope) and float through outdoor and indoor air and contaminate areas. Mold may begin to grow indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet or areas with moisture. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. So, moisture plays a great part of it.
    They attack usually on foods but they also attack non-food items like leather, wood and porcelain. Do you notice your allergic reactions are worse when you're at home but you feel better when you go out? Well, expect it. If so then it's especially likely you could have mold. Don’t go weary of staying in one place. Find a way for mold detection

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->