prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Fresno Scraper revisited.

Several days ago I posted about the memory of watching my Dad excavate  a church basement with a team of horses and a Fresno Scraper. Probably around 1930. I thought that I was discussing an item that was long out of use and would be new to my blog readers. It would be exotic and strange to most readers.

I soon went to lunch at the Senior Center and mentioned the Fresno Scraper. Robert Rinehart was sitting next to me. He said " I have one in my yard. I used it behind a tractor to level my property. We call it a Slip." I was wrong again! The Fresno Scraper is not out of use or exotic around Ruston.

I visited Robert and took pictures of his Fresno Scraper or Slip.

Incidentally Robert and I were in the Battle for Peleliu in the Pacific. We were there at the same time in 1944. I was wounded once. Robert was wounded twice. Once was enough for me. Robert was in the Marines with the "Old Breed". I was a combat engineer in the Army.







No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->