prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Five hour layover in Los Angeles.

On my train ride home from California I boarded the train in San Juan Capistrano. I had a five hour wait in Los Angeles before I got on the Texas Eagle. I had last been in the Los Angeles Union Station during WWII. That was 76 years ago. The Station and I were new, so to speak. The Station was built in 1939 amd was four years old. I was 18 amd new in the Army. I remember the Station as new and glittering. The outside of the Station looks as good today as it did then. The inside look a little worn.

Olvera Street (some like to call it the oldest street in LA) is just across the street from the Station. I remember taking my family there some 60 years ago. I walked over for supper.

Entrance to Olvera Street.



Want some color?



Tamale, beans, and rice.


Strolling musicians.


View of LA Station from Olvera Street.


The five hour layover gave me another opportunity to stroll down memory lane.

2 comments:

  1. So waht did you think of the Amtrak trip overall? Comfortable? Interesting? Or, best of all, just got you there....

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->