prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, August 4, 2018

I was invited to Boot Hill.

Boot Hill is a car race track the other side of Shreveport. It is within a few miles of Texas. Some of my friends are car race fans and go often. . I hinted that I would like to go with them sometime. My record as a car race fan is pretty weak. I watch them some on TV. I can remember going to a car race with my brother in law Marion Mott in Bakersfield in the thirties. I still remember the smell of castor oil. The track was on South Union Avenue. So my last trip to a car race was some eighty years ago. You could not call me a rabid fan. But I wanted to go and was invited last night.

The races started at 7:30 and ended about midnight. I got in bed around 1:30. After a couple hours of races I had enough. My friends were still enthralled and enjoying themselves. I think with further exposure and experience I might become a better fan.

My three friends lead me to the stands.






The flagman was fun to watch. He was a vital part of the races and kinda ran things.




Richard Jones and John Jeffcoat.



Keith Lewis. These three friends were great buddies and hosts.




I was sure glad when the end came at midnight!


1 comment:

  1. Four and a half hours? Not sure I could endure that much dirt track racing either.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->