prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, October 13, 2017

I knocked a deer out!

Here is a link to my blog of June 21 of his year. A pledge of no more accidents or deer killing with my car.

In the blog I said that I have killed five deer with my car. (California, Canada, Olympic Peninsula, and Louisiana) The deer were really the ones in the wrong as they ran into me. Never the less to help meet my pledge of no more deer killing, I said that I would drive 40 mph going to morning coffee. The drive is seven miles through wooded country and I used to drive it 50 to 60 mph.

The other morning on the way to coffee (Jefferson Corner) I had just entered into Ruston's residential area (Kentucky street) when a big doe came across the lane from the left. (I believe that my possible view of the deer had been obscured by houses, fences, and shrubbery) I was going 40 or less and hit the brakes. I think that the deer hit the brakes at the same time. But she hit the left front of my car. She bounced down the road and collapsed. She looked very dead. I was shocked and sick to my stomach. That made six deer notches on my steering wheel. Three of them earned going to morning coffee in Lincoln Parish.

I grabbed a leg and pulled the deer to the side of the road. Before I could get back in my car the deer stood up, shook her head and ran off looking perfectly well! My going 40 had saved her life. She had been only knocked out for two three minutes. Could it be that my car was not damaged?

Here is a pic of the area of my car hit by the deer. Looks good.


Did you notice the white spot below the headlight?


Looks like a bit of deer hair caught by my car. (It will make a conversation piece)

This morning on my way to coffee I set my cruise control at 35 mph. On some hills I coasted faster than that. While staring intently down the road, I relaxed and listened to the sports news. Did not hit a deer today.


2 comments:

  1. Close call for that deer. They make some sort of little whistler device that attaches to the front of your car. Not sure if they work. Glad you and your car are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one while RVing. Do not think it worked. The deer is alive because I was going under 40. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->