prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The old prunepicker is going to go visit a lot of cousins!

Tomorrow I am going to Mountain View, Arkansas, and spend an evening in the picking and grinning park. The next day I am heading for Louisville, Kentucky and a Munson Family reunion. The Munson Family dates their reunions from 1637 when my 8th great grandfather Thomas Munson was listed as a soldier in the New England Indian Wars. (His first substantiated appearance in America)

In 1887 they held a 250th Reunion.


Then in 1987 they held a 350th Reunion. This last was quite a reunion! 1500 attendees and a letter from President Ronald Reagan.


I was completely unaware of the 1987 meeting. Jackie and I were on the East Coast in our RV and could have attended. I am so sorry that we missed the reunion. The reunion was held at Yale University. But I did not have any knowledge of the meeting or of Munson/Monson genealogy. From all the years I spent with my Dad I only knew that he was from Kentucky. I thought that our folks had recently immigrated from Sweden in a turnip boat. (Wrong century and wrong country and wrong boat. The country was actually England and turnips were not involved).

When Jackie passed away in 2007 I started digging into Jackie's and my genealogy. I was amazed and thrilled by what I found. My 8th great grandfather came to America in the Puritan Migration of the 17th century. He was one of the signers for the founding of New Haven, Connecticut. I have grandfathers buried in Connecticut, New Jersey, (one was born in North Carolina), and five grandfathers are buried in Kentucky. (My Dad was actually raised in Kansas).

The Munson Family is holding their 380th Reunion in Louisville next weekend. I will be there and hope to meet a cousin!

1 comment:

!-- Site Meter -->