prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Popcorn for supper during the Great Depression.

I was in the sixth grade. About 11. I was living in a home with my Dad and my brother Warren. Warren was four years older than I and was gone a lot. I was home alone most of the rime. At eleven years old I did not wonder the streets much.

I was hungry a lot. Not much food in the house. I had several adventures cooking for myself that stay in my memory.

A big success was walnut brittle. I melted sugar in a cast iron skillet. I would stir in lots of chopped walnuts. My home town, Pomona, California had miles of walnut orchards. The walnut brittle was delicious!

I would make pancakes (from scratch). I would make my syrup. The pancakes were not bad until I ran out of several vital ingredients. Ugh! very bad! Ever make pancakes from paste?

Once I heard of a field of popcorn south of town. The small field of corn seemed to be deserted. I picked corn that was very dry. I could roll off the kernels from the cob with my hands. I would pop the corn in the same cast iron skillet I used for the walnut brittle. The popcorn was delicious and filling.


I often have popcorn for dinner today. By choice.



1 comment:

  1. I've been reading a book that is compilation of short stories from folks who lived through the Great Depression in Canada. Very interesting.
    Would love more of your stories from those times.
    Thanks, sir.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->