prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Two colds this year and the Old Prune Picker has thoughts of Death!

I had a cold in January that lasted four days and had a fever of 97.3. I am just now (April) getting over a second cold that lasted five days and had a fever of 99.7. I usually do not catch colds. I did get the flu last year. In three months I will be 92 years old. From a very early age I have had pneumonia, pleurisy, and lung congestion. It is not unreasonable to consider that I might die from a lung problem.

I think about death a lot. It is the next big adventure in my life. It is also an adventure when you do not die. Life has more snap or zest the closer you come to death.

However, I do not like the physically slowing down, less grace (never had much) of movement, and a seeming loss of memory and intelligence. (dementia)

5 comments:

  1. You are so honest in your description of getting older and nearer death, Chuck. However I hope you make it for a lot longer as I think you are one terrific guy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck, I know how you feel, I am 85+ and not as active as you are. Hang in there! I am sure you have a few good years left. I read your blog every day.

      Cajun in Orange County, California

      Delete
  2. I tried to comment yesterday, but Captcha verification wasn't working.
    You quit talking like that>!!
    Bigfoot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your interest and kind remarks. ( will cut back on death comments. But thinking about it makes the sun shinerer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when I was young and you were still pretty young, you often talked about death. So, I'm not alarmed at these recent thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->