prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, December 9, 2018

The old prune picker has dementia.

I have probably had dementia all my life but it is worse recently. I will give two examples. I go to lunch every Wednesday at the Senior Center. Have for years. I enjoy it and look forward to it every week. Several Wednesdays ago I thought about lunch in the morning but did not think of it again until one pm! Too late to go! How could I have forgotten?

Yesterday day at Walmart I had three items in my basket. I was at the check out stand and looked in my basket. There wer only two items there. I told the cashier that I must have dropped my third item somewhere in the store and that I would go get a replacement. Just then I looked at the counter and there was the third item! In a matter of seconds I had forgotten that I had placed the third item on the counter! I had looked all over my cart looking for that third item.

This is a matter of concern to me. Especially the Walmart checkout. I had absolutely no memory of placing that item on the counter.

4 comments:

  1. I think (and hope) you are jumping to conclusions. My wife and I both agree those instances seem normal. Just our opinions, from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear this. It must feel quite unsettling. I will pray for you and, like the other comment, hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been many memory problems in the last year or so. Hope it does not get worse. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my previous working life, I was a psychologist. And I did many tests for dementia. This episode in itself does not alarm me much (I may have a vested interest in thinking so at age 73) but if there is a pattern, you might worry. Still, you continue to function well and write well. If I were you, I would ask the people who know me if they've noticed a decline.
    You are such an enjoyable person. I wouldn't want you to be getting discouraged over something no one else has noticed. So ask!!

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->