prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, December 28, 2018

Form 52b--MEDICAL DEPARTMENT, U.S.A. (Revised October 25, 1940)

I was going through some papers the other day. I have been doing this a lot. I am trying to throw things out to save the time of people who will be going through my stuff after I kick the bucket, I found a copy of the subject form that had been attached to me when I was wounded on Peleliu Island. The form is yellow with age, With a magnifying glass I could make out some of the writing, It is dated September 28. I know that the year was 1944. It is 75 years old!

The card is 3 by 6 inches and had a string to tie the card to me. How did I keep the card for 75 years? I made a trip back to Pearl Harbor, then to Leyte. then to Okinawa, then to Korea, and then home. I went to college, Jackie and I raised four children, and then we retired and lived and traveled in an RV for 34 years. And I still have the card!

I can make out my name and rank (PVT), gun shot wound in each knee, Xray ordered, and something about gangrene.




After my buddies carried me down off Bloody Nose Ridge I was placed on a jeep with stretchers and taken to a field hospital.



Then to a hospital ship and to a hospital on Guadalcanal.. I am really impressed that I have the hospital card after 75 years.The card was the spark for this blog.  Guess I can throw it away now.


5 comments:

  1. I really hope someone turns your blog into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really ought keep that piece of history!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all these years I guess I will keep it.

    I have thought about
    putting some blogs in a book.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->