prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Two museums a day for two days.

Here is the Prunepicker and his nephew Daryl on the morning of the first day. We are at the Newseum. It is a real good museum that celebrates the first amendment. Daryl is like a brother to me. His Mom (my sister Jean) was like a Mom to me. We had a great two days together. Riding around to the different museums was like an adventure to me. Seeing all the big buildings and all the many busses full of school kids was exciting. 40 to 50 teenagers in maching tee shirts were going by us all the time


Daryl was so good to me. Pushed me in a wheel chair for hours. Thanks Daryl.


View of the Capital from the Newseum.


Then it was on to African American Museum. The newest Smithsonian Museum. It was very impressive. Very different architecture.


There was a long line.




The next morning we went to the Museum of the Bible. Off the Mall and all private money. Mr Green of Hobby Lobby.


This is our guide. Mr Bill Fraser. He gave a lecture also. Very good. He is in the Church Class where Daryl goes.





Our last museum was the International Spy Museum. Soon to be moved and rebuilt. We learned all about James Bond!




Nice Car.


For dinner on our last evening together Daryl took me to a restaurant in Oldtown Alexandria. It was in the old building that was a torpedo factory in World Wars I and II. Wonder where they make them now. Maybe we do not need any more. Daryl is standing by a torpedo.


Saturday morning I toured Arlington Cemetery again. I saw the changing of the guard for the umpteenth time. It is so impressive!






At the Visitor Center there a wax statue of the soldier who played taps in the changing that I had just attended. I stood by him for a while to see if he would move. Boy did that statue look alive.




I spent a couple of hours at my grave again before heading for the airport. I left some money on top of the monument. Jackie always liked money. (who doesn't?)


2 comments:

  1. I'm ready for a good nap after reading about your museum travels. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Six days latter, I am still exhausted!

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->