prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, August 25, 2017

Flat tire in the rain on Christmas Eve.

I was within 1 week of the last day of my 15 year career with Schlumberger. I had decided to leave 24 hour call oilfield work so I could be home more with my wife Jackie and my son Chris who had recently tried (unsuccessfully) to take his life. I consider those 15 years a high light of my work life. I enjoyed that time, except for the hardship that the work put on my family. (7 cities, 20 houses , schools, etc in 15 years} Just as my four children were going through school life.

Per my employment contract I had given six months notice. New Years Eve was my last day. We were living in Coalinga on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley. I had a found a job with an oil company in Long Beach. We were looking forward to moving.

I was returning from a job north of Coalinga. I was in the hills north of town and could see the city lights. Bang! went the right rear tire. (Yes I remember which tire it was even after 52 years.) About 5 to 10 miles away was my family. In the front room with a fire going in the fireplace. Toys were wrapped and ready. Jackie's sweet Grandmother (born in Scotland and so proud of her brogue) was there. For many years she was with us every Christmas.

I had a happy thought. (This is the last time that I will change a flat tire, in the dark, in the rain, on Christmas Eve.) I almost whistled while I changed the tire. (the right rear)

1 comment:

!-- Site Meter -->