prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Greg Reynolds. A serious case of cancer.


Greg Reynolds is an old friend from the Jefferson Corner Liars Club. He has had a very serious operation, for cancer, and is scheduled for three weeks of extreme radiation treatment. Greg is an independent contractor and does not have medical insurance. His friends at the Liars Club are setting up a drawing for a Ruger 50th Anniversary 1022 rifle.


This rifle has been the best 22 rifle in the world for fifty years. Be sure to buy a bunch of chances! All of the money raised will go to Greg.

Yesterday there was a benefit affair for Greg in Arcadia.



Three bands played. The benefit went all day. Greg was able to attend. Picture above was taken at the benefit. Greg's family and many friends were in attendance. The video below was taken at the party.


PS Good news for Greg. All of us are happy. Greg went to a doctor in Shreveport today (Monday). Previously Greg had been told that he had four to five months to live, with the chance that three weeks of harsh radioactive treatment might help him. Today he was told that a treatment every two months would keep him going for several years. Needless to say Greg is very very happy. Aren't we all?

Maybe Greg will win the rifle and use it for many years.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Chuck Monson! Came across your blog while Googling McKinley Home for Boys for my husband who lived there from 1936 to 1942. He joined the US Navy in 1944 and served in the Pacific. We have been married since 1953 and are still getting around on our own power. November hope to celebrate our 82d and 90th years.
    We enjoyed seeing the pictures of McKinley you posted and learning about your time there. There are probably not very many boys still around who lived there in the 30s. We are CA natives and live in the San Diego area although we spent most of our married life in LA County. We have 2 sons and 5 grandchildren So far. Lloyd retired from trucking in 1985 and I retired from my job as a librarian. We enjoyed RVing and took two swings around the country in 1985 and again in 1987. Our last RV was a fiver trailer which we sold about 6 years ago. I still miss RVing but got to be too much like work. Lloyd enjoys playing tennis twice a week and I still work as a library one day a week at a local community college. Our main exercise is walking. Our sons are not nearby and our grandkids are spread out all over the country. We get together as often as we can.
    Your blogs are very interesting and it is inspiring to read about your very full life in LA. We have been in your state twice and enjoyed very much the hospitality and slow paced way of life. We have never lived anywhere except CA, but are very happy in San Diego area and do not miss LA madness at all.
    McKinley is now located in San Dimas as you probably know. We wonder how many boys from the 30s may still be around? Lloyd says his time there was some of the best of his young life. His single mother had to work and his father had left the state. McKinley provided a comfort zone and structure to his life. He worked at the ranch nearby and enjoyed being with the horses. After WWII he went back to the Valley to see what remained but of course everything had changed dramatically.
    Lloyd reads my computer screen but has no interest in mastering Mouse Technique or the glitches that we encounter everyday on the Internet! If you care to reply, please send your email to janetpina@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet. I enjoyed your comment. Over the years I have had many contracts with McKinley Alumni. It was a nice experience for me. I remember the farms around. Especially a wheat harvester in action. I have always been fond of the San Diego area. Nice place.Makes me want to yell ohlay! Best wishes to you and your husband,

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Talk to Mickey Fitzgerald at 318-245-6049. Thanks for your purchase.

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->