prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, April 18, 2016

Pictures of the Battle of Angaur.

On September 17, 1944 (about 72 years ago) the US Army gave me a boat ride to the beach on Angaur Island. Angaur is next to Peleliu in the Palau Archipelago. The pictures below are actual pictures of the action. I found the pictures in a documentary film on YouTube. I am sure that I am in one of the pictures.


Long ride in a troop ship from Hawaii to Angaur.


There is Angaur.


Battleships and planes bombard the island.


Landing crafts full of troops form circles.


The boats peel off to form waves. I must have been in one of those boats.




The trees were almost all torn up by the bombardment.


I was not dressed like this. If the enemy could have seen my face they would have surrendered sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->