prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Pig War.

I am spending week after next with my daughter's family on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands. I may be able to visit the site of the 1859 Pig War between England and the US. The War lasted 12 years, but the only casualty was one pig! The Pig War was on San Juan Island in the San Juan Islands. The island was home to both English and Americans. At the time the nationality of the islands was in dispute. An American farmer shot the pig of an Irishman that was rooting in his potatoes.

The US sent Captain George Pickett (of Picketts Charge fame) and 66 soldiers from Bellingham, Washington. England sent three warships and 1000 soldiers. The two forces faced each other for 12 years until the ownership of the San Juan Islands was given to the US by an international referee. The men in charge back home thought that one pig was not worth a shooting war.


See how close Orcas Island and San Juan Island are.

The following exchange occurred during the War. The American Farmer to the Irishman "You should keep your pigs out of my potatoes!". The Irishman to the American Farmer "You should keep your potatoes out of my pigs!"

In 11 days I will be 90 years old. I will spend the day on Orcas Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->