prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Salmon. From junk food to gourmet dinner.

In the middle of the Great Depression I remember going with my Dad to pick up government food for the poor. I was 12 or 13. It was in 1937 or 1938. The building was like a boxcar or big box. It was full of bags of dried peas, beans, etc. The were cans of salmon. The cans were olive drab color. Or government green. I remember eating cold salmon out of the can with soda crackers.



The salmon in my neighborhood at that time was considered junk food. Just up from dog and cat food. It did not taste bad. Especially if you were hungry. (I was)

Last March, 2019 I rode Amtrak from Texas to California. The dining car served gourmet food. I had salmon. About 20 or 30 dollars. The meals were complimentary with my ticket. A photo of my meal is below.


The meal was delicious. The salmon was hot and tasty! Salmon now is considered pretty good food. I liked it out of the can and on the Amtrak train. Better on the train!

4 comments:

  1. As a kid, Mom would fix canned salmon patties for supper. We kids weren't too crazy about it, but with some ketchup it was okay.
    I love salmon as an adult, but it's pretty pricey now. Very healthy food!
    And then there's the Fukishema radiation leaking into the oceans for the last umpteen years.
    Thanks for another story from days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember salmon patties.. Jackie and I ate a lot of salmon when we lived in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing to see how things change as years pass wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salmon sure changed in my lifetime. It was food for the poor. Not so much now.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->