prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Friday, January 25, 2019

My Esophagus. A brief history of my experiences with swallowing problems.

In 1998, at the age of 73, I had very difficult time with swallowing a bite of cheeseburger. During the next four years I had passed out 3 times while swallowing food. These three times I was sitting down and did not sustain a head injury. Now ar 93 I look back at lots of adventures swallowing.

I had my esophagus stretched for the first time in 2002. Since then my esophagus has been stretched in 2011, 2012, 2014, 2915, 2016, and 2018. This is a total of seven times. As time goes by these stretches seem to be less worthwhile.

I have passed out two more times since the first three times. Once in 2013 and once this month, 2919. The fall in 2013 resulted in a bleeding brain and surgery. (After a stroke two months after the fall.) A CAT scan this week indiates no brain bleeding (so far) from the last fall.

So that is seven esophagus stretches, five passing out, and years of difficult meals. My Dr said that I may have to do all my eating and drinking while sitting down. That is better than a feeding tube.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you should try a mostly liquid diet? Protein shakes? Or maybe force yourself to take tiny bites and swallow often. (You're probably already doing that)
    Excellent record keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is scary but informative. I had my esophagus stretched for the first time a few months ago (on the second try-- they could not stretch it the first time they tried due to too much esophageal damage. They put me on a liquid diet for two months and then were able to do it on the second try). I had never heard of these issues before that and was surprised to learn how common it is. That said, I had never heard of anyone passing out the way you do, but considering the issues I had breathing when something was stuck in my esophagus and pressing against my windpipe, I guess I can understand how it could happen.

    Question-- have they tried a stent yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your interest in my problem. My niece in Oregon had her esophagus torn on a stretch. Needed surgery and a hospital stay. My last stretch had painful after spasms. Sitting down to swallow is not a problem. I think eating and drinking very slowly might solve my problem.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->