prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Chautauqua. Two home runs! Taryn Sternitzsky and Wesley Harris.

Home Run # 1. Taryn is a Ruston High School student who has worked up a wonderful display on the history of the Ruston Chautauqua. She lives and has been raised on the grounds of the original Chautauqua. The Chautauqua was started near the end of the 19th century and was dedicated to education, religion, and recreation. It was a big success. A three time candidate for President, William Jennings Bryan spoke at the Ruston Chautauqua. People came by train from as far away as New Orleans.




Home Run # 2. Wesley Harris is a local Historian. The title of his talk was "The Battle after the War". He discussed how wild and lawless this area was after the war. At that time Vienna was the largest settlement in the area. He discussed the possible reasons that Lincoln Paris was established in 1884.





I am looking forward to the return of the Chautauqua in the Fall.

2 comments:

  1. It's unfortunate that we never see any younger folks in the audience trying to learn about their local history.
    Sounds very interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->