prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A city named after a steamboat.

200 years ago next year (1819) the first steamboat in history arrived in Monroe. The name of the steamboat was the Monroe. In honor of this momentous event the people of Monroe (then called Fort Miro) renamed their city Monroe.

This event will be recognized all next year as "THE YEAR OF THE RIVER 2019". It will be a ear long celebration of exploring the Ouachita River.

At the last meeting of the Northeast Louisiana Genealogical and Historical Society a talk was given by Jorenda Stone. She knows her subject and gave a good talk. I enjoyed it.

Come to the celebration!







No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->