prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

A blue enameled bowl full of strawberry slurry.


I remember my mom would fill a blue enameled bowl (which stayed in the family for many years), like the one in the picture, with a mixture of sliced strawberries, cream and milk, and a little sugar. The bowl was big and it was full. This slurry plus shortbread was to be the whole supper for a large family.

I was four. It was ninety years ago. My mom passed away when I was five. There were about a dozen of my family at home at that time. It was a tradition of my mom to occasionally have a strawberry supper. Nothing else to eat, just strawberry shortcake, but all you wanted. I can remember how it tasted. The shortbread was not sweet. It was a big fluffy sourdough biscuit. You placed the shortbread in your bowl and then covered it with the strawberry slurry. It was so good! Everyone was happy with their meal.

I can remember my mom standing over the bowl. This is one of the several memories that I have of my mom. If you have read some of my blogs you may have the impression that I really missed my mom and resented losing her at an early age. That is the right impression!


 I have recently became acquainted with a genealogical presentation called a timeline. The timeline presents a chronological list of all the events in a person's life. The list can include major events with age, where the person was living, etc. I am thinking of doing a timeline for my mom. She led an eventful life in her 41 years! Eight pregnancies and nine children. It would be like spending time with her. Depending on how detailed my study, it could be a lot of work. Getting or reading eight birth certificates could involve a lot of time, effort and expense.



5 comments:

  1. You know you look like her, don't you? I think so. Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead if you are sure you're going to do it. I'll bet you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do your own timeline as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. I have read some timelines and they can be interesting and tell a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do look like your mom. It's sad to have lost her as such a little boy. I am glad you had your grandmother to move in and help your family through it. It must have been really difficult. I think it might be quite comforting to have that timeline if you feel up to it.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->