prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Mutiny


While in the Army I was involved in only one mutiny. And I was forced into that mutiny by my fellow soldiers. I did not resist the acton of my fellow soldiers too hard. Let me explain.

Definition of mutiny.


Yes that is what I was involved in. It was in my last month of service. I was on a troopship in Tacoma, Washington.


We had shipped out of Seoul, Korea. It was several months after VJ Day. There were several thousand of us on the ship. Most of us had been over seas for some time. Our ship had been docked for several hours in Tacoma. Across the dock from us were busses waiting to take us downtown. We had been standing shoulder to shoulder waiting for the officers to let us off the ship. There were rumors of passes, and when the passes would be issued. We were thinking about steak dinners and the bright lights of Tacoma.

And then the mutiny started! Slowly several thousand men started to go down the gang plank. I was in the middle of them. The officers were yelling orders and trying to stop us. We pushed them aside.
the officers did not have a chance. Thousands versus several. Across the dock we went to the busses. I must admit that I was a participant in the mutiny. Boy, was that steak good! And with a big fresh salad.

The ship was docked and waiting to unload for several days. Many of us stayed at the USO in town while we waited to be sent to Fort Lewis. I remember being in a huge field house and listening to Betty Hutton sing "Doctor Lawyer Indian Chief".

We had our Christmas, 1945 meal at Fort Lewis. The meal was served by German prisoners of war.


2 comments:

  1. You should do these type of blogs more often. Very interesting, and historical. Thank you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is an interesting story. It was sure interesting at he rime!

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->