prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

I do not carry a gun any more.

I used to carry a gun. I had a small caliber pistol that would fit in my pants pocket. It was so small that it was not noticeable.

When Jackie and started RVing in 1985 I thought that we needed a gun with us on our many travels. I carried a short barrel 12 gauge shotgun in the cab of our pickup. Later I purchased a small pistol and kept it with me most of the time. I have a Concealed Handgun Permit. It is good for a couple more years. It is my second permit. It is quite a chore to get the permits. Several hundred dollars and a full day of training for each permit. It turned out to be a total waste of time for me.


I have decided to turn in my guns and be unarmed in the future. Two of my three brothers ended their lives with a gun shot to the head. I loved these two guys . I have many happy memories of being with them. I was greatly shocked and grieved by their action. I have thought about them very much for a long time. Is there a suicide gene in my heritage? There have been studies that indicate a slight  increase in suicide in people whose siblings have committed suicide.

I am alone quite a bit. I usually keep busy but occasionally I get depressed and lonely. After several years of thought I have decided it would be wise to not have a gun around.

I have more room in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->