prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Salt pork 4 1/2 cents per pound.

I remember a very poor time (during the great depression in the 1930s) in my life when salt pork was 4 1/2 cents per pound. I have coffee on Wednesdays after lunch at Cranford's Northside.  I noticed this item for sale.


It was salt pork for $8.99 per pound. That is an increase in price of 2000 per cent! That is in roughly 80 years.

My Dad and I were living in a room adjacent to an apartment where my oldest sister Nita and family (spouse and seven children) were living. Dad and I ate with Nita's family. The place was an old empty store just off the railroad tracks.

Nita fried the salt pork (no meat in it) and made salt pork gravy and lots of biscuits. The gravy and biscuits were our meals for three times a day. Sometimes we had potato soup. (thin with just potatoes and tomatoes)

This is the last place that my Dad and I lived together. This time ended sadly. My Dad had a bad stroke that left him paralyzed on one side for the last 17 years of his life and I went to George Junior Republic in Chino. A semi reform school for boys. (Really was and is a good place)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another interesting glimpse into history. Always love your recollections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy that this is so expensive now. My dad would fry this up and the end pieces, which were hard to chew but very flavorful, provided a kind of all day snack because you could chomp on them all day without them breaking down.

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->