prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, July 22, 2019

94th Birthday Trip.

For my 94th birthday (July 20) I took a trip. I visited Branson, Missouri; Nowata (no water?), Oklahoma; and Wichita, Kansas.

Jackie and I RVeed to Branson the first time in 1987. The first of several visits. On my drive to Branson from the South last Wednesday I was lost in nostalgia. It is a beautiful ride up in the hills. There was a 7 percent grade that had a runaway truck escape ramp. A 7 percent grade is nothing to a car but when Jackie and I were pulling a 35 foot trailer it got our attention. I probably will never see the ride again. Jackie and I saw it many happy times!

I had a chicken dinner at the Dolly Parton Stampede. Delicious dinner and a great horse show.



I visited nephew Michael Monson and his wife Tabitha in Nowata, Oklahoma. I really enjoyed the visit and getting acquainted with them. It was a thrill.

These are Scottish Highlander cattle.




I heard that there is no water in Nowata because Stillwater, Oklahoma stole it!


Then on to Wichita, Kansas fo the biennial meeting of the Thomas Munson Foundation. I was told that I am the 14th oldest member of the foundation. They were always using the word monson. I thought  "why are they talking about me". Then I realized that a lot of them were named Munson. Nice meeting. Lots of meals together with a last night banquet.




The Drury Hotel on the Arkansas River,


A walk on the river.


The Keeper of the Plains. A 44 foot steel statue placed where two rivers come together. It has become the symbol of Wichita.


A lovely fountain at the Wichita Museum. They were observing the 147th birthday of Wichita. They served birthday cake and ice cream.


Sunday I left the hotel at 5:30 am and pulled into home at 5:20 pm.  Almost a 12 hour drive.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, again, from a Canadian follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday!!

    A 12 hour drive??

    I'm 30 years younger than you and would not relish that drive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and many more!!!!!

    Cajun in Orange, CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the birthday cake and ice cream was for you. ;)

    Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->