prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Ireton Cemetery. A visit today.


I knew that the cemetery was on the right of the highway going north out of Alex, I drove slow and looked. I saw the angel standing out from the woods.





The cemetery is well fenced off from the cattle. It could use some weed cutting.



I met an Ireton relation. He told me many Ireton stories. We tried to find the pioneer town of Ireton. Long ago abandoned. He thought we might find the concrete steps of the school house, but could not. He loaned me these books to read overnight.


Our friend and black sheep David Rufus Ireton is mentioned several hundred times in the books. I learned a lot. He was called Rufe in the old days. Look for a future blog on Rufus.






2 comments:

  1. Hello! I believe we have some family connections. I wrote a blog post about the Ireton siblings. I'd love more info if you have any!

    https://historicaljunk.wordpress.com/2016/06/12/ancestry-sunday-week-2-the-ireton-curse/

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of data on the Iretons. Rufus is my wife's grand father. He shows up in prison on four census rolls. He was well off once. He paid for the large angel statue in the Ireton Cemetery

      Delete

!-- Site Meter -->