prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Historic Mount Lebanon, Louisiana.

In the early 1800s many families from South Carolina settled in Mount Lebanon. This is about an hour west of Ruston. It was the first permanent settlement in this area. In 1837 the Mount Lebanon Baptist Church was organized.

Yesterday I attended the yearly meeting of the Mount Lebanon Historic Society. There was even a singing group and refreshments.






Good singing.


Dr Phillip Cook. a retired history professor, gave an interesting talk. He read an historic letter. It was from his great grandfather to his relatives back in South Carolina. At that time (1840s) Mount Lebanon was a few miles from the border of the United States. The other side of Shreveport was a foreign country called Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->