prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

War in the Pacific Museum

This is the entrance to the WW II War in the Pacific Musum in Fredericksburg, Texas. I spent several hours in the museum and the adjacent Admiral Nimitz Museum. My visit was on 8/26/2010. I enjoyed my visit. The museum is very interesting and well done. The citizens of Fredericksburg are rightfully proud of it.


I spent an hour in the section of the museum on the Battle for the Palau Islands.The lower arrow is the convoy for the 81st Army Division. I was in the 81st and we landed on Anguar while the 1st Marine Division landed on Peleliu. In a few days I went over to Peleliu to help the Marines. Bad mistake! I got shot. I learned to not volunteer to help the Marines.



I kept looking for a picture or mention of me. No luck.




I came off Peleliu like the picture above shows. That is not me because my stretcher was made from cut down trees and field jackets. Took a squad of men several hours to get me down off Bloody Nose Ridge.



I admire Admiral Nimitz, who was from Fredericksburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

!-- Site Meter -->