prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Wednesday, November 25, 2020

A barrel of peanut butter.

I can remember going to the food store (Torley's in Pomona, California) with my folks and they bought a wax paper bucket of peanut butter. They bought it at the butcher's counter. The butcher scooped the peanut butter out of a barrel and filled the paper bucket. Waxed paper buckets were used for various food items and were in common use. The bucket was square and had a wire handle. By the time we got home the peanut oil was seeping through the waxed paper bucket. You could see a line halfway up the bucket that marked the seeping oil. The peanut butter had to be transferred into a glass container.

I liked the peanut butter. Over the years I have learned to like it much more. I have eaten a barrel or two of peanut butter in my lifetime. 95 years. That is a lot of peanut butter! And jelly, jam, or honey.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Not only am I glad to see you posting, but with such a delicious memory. Your appreciation for the finest, though perhaps not of great worldly importance, events of life is restorative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love these flashback memories of yours. Please offer more of these.
    I especially like peanut butter daubed on a banana with every bite of the 'nanner.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have never heard of such a thing! Thanks for sharing, and Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete

!-- Site Meter -->