prune picker

This is the blog of a prune picker. (Native born Californian) Retired oilfield. I am an old man. I blog a lot about my body and getting old. As I approach death life gets more interesting. More interesting is not good. I still drive. I attend sports, music, and civic events. I am writing my memoirs. I attend swim class three times a week. Some of my blogs might be interesting. A lot of my blogs are silly and trivial. None are very long.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Train trip itinerary. Update.

What is the use of having an itinerary if you can not change it? Based on further research and input from my son Mike. I have changed the side trip to Modesto from bus to train. The train will take me from San Juan Capistrano to Los Angeles. Then I take an Amtrak bus to Bakersfield. Then train the rest of the way to Modesto. Same deal on return trip to San Juan Capistrano. (No train tracks over the Ridge Route and Grapevine). Once during WWII I rode the bus from LA to Bakersfield. The bus was full, people stood in the aisle the length of the bus. I climbed into the luggage rack and went to sleep for the two hour trip.

I must have traveled the route (and back) between LA to Bakersfield a hundred times. Hitchhike, bicycle, Army truck convoy, car, plane, and bus. Much of it I have walked. Caught in snow storms several times. I am looking forward to the trip again this month. Sitting in a comfortable chair by a window.

Here is the schedule for this trio.


The ticket states the trip north takes from 8am to 4pm.  Eight hours. That is very good. The distance is 366 mules. I could not do much better in my car.




3 comments:

!-- Site Meter -->